October 5, 2010

Vampires, Ghosts and Zombies













[Back in 2005 I put out the call for scary-movie lists and my friend Ajax (who's since passed) sent me not one but three lists.  To honor him I thought I would reprint his lists. The links all go to Amazon.com, and if you buy anything they send me a shiny nickel.  -Hyperion]





TOP TEN VAMPIRE MOVIES
7. Blade
4. Nosferatu (1922)

Hyperion's note: there is one Vampire movie (which I will be reviewing next week) that I think would have topped Ajax's list if he'd lived long enough to see it. I would have paid money to see Twilight with him, just to witness his anguish. 








TOP TEN GHOST MOVIES
9. Ghost
4. Topper

Hyperion's Note - I wasn't allowed to see Ghostbusters or Beetlejuice as a kid, and to this day I have honored that parental decree








TOP TEN ZOMBIE MOVIES

3. Friday the 13th, part II and onwards


Hyperion's Note: Don't hate, but I just don't get the appeal of Zombies.  Maybe one day I'll learn. 



Unless you're too scared, Go to the 31 Days of RAWR!

Return to the Hyperion Institute Home Page (and possibly win a prize)


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you

Anonymous said...

I have a little crush on you, Ajax. oxox

Anonymous said...

you might not have seen or even heard of these - but i reccomend them -- ghost movies

"huanted" with adian quinn -- good - excellent movie -- will leave you guess - almos tlike 6th sense

"uninvited" - black & white but i can't watch it w/ the lights out - will give you chills

Anonymous said...

and you included "topper" -- kisses to you for that --

"ferris bueller - you're my hero"

Anonymous said...

For zombie movies I overlooked 'Mary Shelly's Frankenstein' with De Niro as the monster and Kenneth Braughnananana. And What's-her name from the Tim Burton Movies.Helena Bohnam Carter. Not much of a movie, really, but an amazing cast.

My participation in Hyperion-related endeavors is simply to ensure that when the revolution comes I'm not put up against the wall with the rest of the running dog capitalist lackeys. I'm hoping to be at least a Colonel in the Hyperionic Secret Police.

Anonymous said...

My favorite Zombie Movie is 28 Days Later which sadly didn't even make your list. I'd also give an honorable mention to Dawn of the Dead(the original) just because its so much fun.

Anonymous said...

Ah, 28 days later... Defintely a superior zombie film. Unfortunately, top ten lists only have room for ten, and Pet Sematary included zombie animals and zombie children, and so could not be excluded.

The thing about 28 Days is it's quintissential RPG quality. 'You wake up from a coma alone, in a hospital room. The door has been locked from the outside and the key pushed back under the door. Where do you go?

In regard to Topper, I decided that I would only include movies I've actually seen. I watched a colorized version of Topper with my Grandma one afternoon on TNT or something. Not what you'd expect from a ghost movie, but pretty keen anyway. I'll never forget when they fixed Topper's flat tire, 'but I'll be darned if I spend any ectoplasm doing it' (expending ectoplasm is apparently how ghosts make themselves visible). Then the 'invisible' ghosts jacked up the car and changed the tire as Topper sat and watched. Topper: Pit Crew From Beyond The Grave.

Faithful Joy said...

Good lists, the only thing I might re-arrange is switching Lost Boys and From Dusk to Dawn. I am a Tarrantino fan, but this was by far my least favorite of his movies.

Anonymous said...

Personally, I loved Dusk right until the moment the vampires emerged for the first time. It was a perfect(meaning clever, but brutal) QT crime movie to that point. Everything subsequent was a bit campy and silly.

Lost Boys was pretty campy the whole way through. Love Sutherland in a mullet, though. And the Coreys.

Lakewood Water Features said...

Nice blogg




RANK EVERYTHING - Copyright 2005 - 2018 by Hyperion All Rights Reserved; Adapted by the staff of Blog and Web