September 5, 2006

"Summer" Songs

I meant to do this earlier, but it's a great day-after-Labor-Day list too, if only to remind us of what we've lost.


THE TOP TEN SONGS WITH "SUMMER" IN THE TITLE




Honorable Mention: Theme from "A Summer Place" - Summer isn't really in the title, but I love this Henry Mancini work, and wanted to honor it somehow.



#10 The Boys of Summer (Don Henley) - I loathe Don Henly, but even I have to admit his song belongs on this list.



#9 Summer in the City (Lovin' Spoonful) - I've always wondered: "lovin' spoonful" of what?



#8 Summer of '69 (Bryan Adams) - If the list were actual Summer Songs, I'd take his Robin Hood Theme over this.



#7 Summer Breeze (Seals and Crofts) - These guys wouldn't survive today, but in the Hall & Oats and James Taylor era, I bet they did all right with the Ladies.



#6 Hot Summer Nights (Miami Sound Machine) - one wonders: were there other "machines" in Miami at that time, to necessitate calling this group the Sound Machine? If so, what?



#5 Those Lazy Hazy Crazy Days of Summer (Nat King Cole) - If he were alive today, do you think Nat would rap?



#4 Summer Nights (Grease Soundtrack) - Everything you need to know about Men/Women is defined by the following Lyric: "Tell me more, tell me more, tell me more: did you get very far? Tell me more, tell me more, tell me more: like, did he have a car?" Jeesh



#3 Summertime (DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince) - Just a great groove song. Don't believe me? Listen to it again. You'll see.



#2 Cruel Summer (Bananarama) - I love some of their songs. My favorite was "Do Not Disturb" but I've never found it again, ever since I had to burn the tape as a 12 year old because supposedly Bananarama was into the Occult. If you can till, I'm STILL bitter!


and the number one song with "Summer" in the title....



#1 SummerTime - Porgy and Bess - This ought to be my next audio post. I am in love with the slow languid lyrics and pace. What a song!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna have to go with Summer Nights by Van Halen as my #1




RANK EVERYTHING - Copyright 2005 - 2018 by Hyperion All Rights Reserved; Adapted by the staff of Blog and Web