February 25, 2009

2009 Oscar Gowns

[GUEST LIST FROM DRAGON]

Romance was back in 2009's Oscar fashions and I, for one, was very happy. There were a few fashion missteps (ahem...Jessica Biel) but for the most part everyone was dressed to impress.

Here are my 10 favourites:



10. Heidi Klum - Heidi was looking absolutely gorgeous in this fiery red Roland Mouret gown. The origami style top and the super-high slit made for a daring fashion statement. I loved her killer shoes.



9. Evan Rachel Wood - Evan's champagne Elie Saab gown was so simple and elegant.




8. Natalie Portman - Natalie's fuchsia Rodarte gown was a rare pop of fresh, bold colour on this year's sea of neutral coloured gowns.




7. Angelina Jolie - Angelina's black Elie Saab gown can truly be described as a classic. The glimmering emerald earrings were the perfect accessories for this simple gown.




6. Marisa Tomei - Marisa Tomei surprised with this amazing silver Versace gown. That train is a masterpiece. It was definitely one of the most dramatic gowns of the night.




5. Sarah Jessica Parker - Sarah Jessica Parker's Dior haute couture gown was stunning. She described the colour as 'barely mint' and I don't think anyone else could have pulled off this dress.




4. Taraji P. Henson - Taraji Henson proved she belonged on the red carpet with this creamy gown by Roberto Cavalli gown.




3. Penelope Cruz - Penelope is always one to watch on the red carpet and this time was no exception. Her cream coloured vintage Balmain gown with all of the rouching and lace details was actually more than 60 years old. She wore it well.




2. Anne Hathaway - Anne's gown was sophisticated in this jewel encrusted white gown from Armani Prive.




1. Kate Winslet - Kate's Yves Saint Laurent gown was a two-tone steel grey gown with the transparent beaded black down the side. This gown was absolutely gorgeous.


xoxo,
Dragon



[Hyperion's Note: Thanks to Dragon for taking the time to do this. Since I create quite a few lists, I know how hard it can be. My specific thoughts on her choices are in the comments.]

1 comment:

Hyperion said...

My take on some of Dragon's picks....

Normally Heidi Klum(one of the most beautiful women of all time) wears hideous dresses on the red carpet, and while I still get tetchy over her obsession with asymmetricity, her dress is nice. (And the calves helped.)

Evan Rachel Woodl is someone I cannot take seriously, because of her "relationship" with Marilyn Manson, so I have no idea if her dress is hot or not.

Natalie Portman.......oh sorry; I fell asleep out of sheer boredom. What were we talking about?


I like the hint of bare leg on Angelina Jolie's dress, but that particular picture makes her look like a Klingon.


Marisa Tomei's has this neato swan-feathers look in the back, but given her nomination as a stripper, the whole thing seems inappropriate.


Sarah Jessica Parker: Frankly, I miss the "Ursula the Sea-Witch" dress from the last episode of SATC. At least that was purple.


Taraji Henson (I refuse to use the middle initial "P." as if we're somehow going to get her confused with Taraji
"L." Henson) and Penelope Cruz each look lovely, and by tomorrow I couldn't pick their dresses out of a lineup. I know timeless classics ultimately hold up better (in history's harsh glare), but shouldn't a dress of this magnitude at least be memorable?

Anne Hathaway - See above.


Okay, I fully admit that IN THIS LIGHT, Kate Winslet's dress is grey/silver (and black), and anyone who read my Live Oscar Diary is laughing at that very statement.

That said, on the Red Carpet, there was a fading sunlight, in certain spots, there was a fading sunlight, which lent a particular quality to the gown. What people don't get is that the COLOR OF SOMETHING LITERALLY CHANGES DEPENDING ON THE LIGHT WAVES BEING REFRACTED AT THE TIME!!!!

Sunday Night, that dress was Purple, and not even Kate's dress on my floor (if you know what I mean) will get me to say differently.




RANK EVERYTHING - Copyright 2005 - 2018 by Hyperion All Rights Reserved; Adapted by the staff of Blog and Web