September 27, 2005

More Simpsons Week!

I keep hoping more people will send in Simpsons Top Ten Lists, but even if they don’t, I don’t care. I love The Simpsons and I’m running these lists. So there! Today we have Bear’s List, including more honorable mentions than USMC graduation speech.

HONORABLE MENTION: The Telltale Head; Homer at the Bat; Kamp Krusty; Marge vs. the Monorail; Brother from the Same Planet; The Last Temptation of Homer; Itchy and Scratchy Land; Lemon of Troy; Bart Sells His Soul; King-Size Homer; Mother Simpson; Homer's Enemy; The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show; Homer vs. the Eighteenth Amendment; Brother's Little Helper; The Secret War of Lisa Simpson; E-I-E-I-(ANNOYED GRUNT); Insane Clown Poppy; Lisa the Tree Hugger; Homer vs. Dignity

10. New Kids on the Blecch
It was hard to pick this one over some others, but the music video is downright hilarious and pushes it over the top.

9. Bart the Genius
From the first season and a little rough around the edges, but still one of the best episodes. Despite the early popular perception of the Simpsons being an amoral show featuring the delinquent Bart, this one actually has Bart displaying some strong family values. The discussions in the gifted class are priceless and chock full of parody.

8. Lisa's Substitute
More Asbestos! More Asbestos! We get to see why Lisa is the way she is.

7. Who Shot Mr. Burns?
This is actually two episodes clumped into one. I think it's the only cliffhanger the Simpsons have ever ended a season with, and pretty much just classic Simpsons fare, with all the key players involved in one way or another.

6. Mr. Plow
One of the most enjoyable of Homer's crackpot schemes, that name again, is "Mr. Plow".

5. Simpsoncalifragilisticexpiala(Annoyed Grunt)cious
The Simpsons as a family unit are exposed in this Mary Poppins spoof.

4. The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson
One of THE funniest episodes of all time. Everything you want from Homer you get here, so pour yourself a crab juice and check it out.

3. Lisa the Skeptic
I like this one a lot because not only is it funny, but it addresses a very important topic that not too many prime-time shows, at least at the time, touched on: belief.

2. Two Dozen and One Greyhounds
Mr. Burns turns Cruella DeVille and wants to make Santa's Little Helper's pups into a vest, sparking one of the best musical parodies of all time.

And…

1. Homerpalooza
"How the hell DO you be cool?" I never thought of myself as being part of the "cool" crowd, although I had my fair share of teenage angst, and I think everyone at one point or another can relate to the stuff going on in the episode. There are so many good lines. "I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich." Thankfully, they focus on Homer and the general social aspects without giving too much time to one or another of the many guest stars.


Up Next: More Simpsons. I don’t have any more lists, so I’m kind of curious myself what will show up here. Come back tomorrow and find out. And for the love of Jebus, tell a friend to come too!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh wait, isn't this a good example of why cartoons today are what they are? Don't lynch me, I love the Simpsons too, but it bears considering.




RANK EVERYTHING - Copyright 2005 - 2018 by Hyperion All Rights Reserved; Adapted by the staff of Blog and Web