December 22, 2005

Best TV Christmas Specials

I was preparing a column on the best Christmas movies, and couldn't decide whether to include TV shows or not. So I gave them their own list.

THE TOP FIVE TV CHRISTMAS SPECIALS



#5 A Garfield Christmas - Just goofy enough to work. Highlights include several of the songs, and "Grandma," especially when she talks about how all they used to have were "wood-burning cats." What the heck are those?



#4 Claymation Christmas - This is one of my family's all-time favorites. The two dinosaur hosts talk about Christmas carols and their meanings. Well, one of them does. Herb mostly tries to find food. The announcers are also on the search for the meaning of Here we come a WASSAILING....The California Raisins end the show, but the funniest songs are actually We Three Kings (where the Wise Men are super-serious and the Camels all jazzy on the chorus), and Carol of the Bells, in which a bell choir features bells hitting themselves on the correct note. I can't explain it here, but it's hilarious.


#3 How the Grinch Stole Christmas - Just watched this yesterday to refresh; it really is lovely. Boris Karloff adds a great touch with his voice, and I love Max the dog. One question, though, what on earth are those Whos saying at the beginning of their song?



#2 Blackadder's Christmas Carol - Not very well known on this side of the pond, but those who do cherish it. My brother got it for me one year, and it's a hard-core family tradition. Blackadder, for those who don't know, is played by the incomparable Rowan Atkinson, in several specials down throughout history. He's usually a moron. In this version Blackadder is the nicest man in all of England, and the Ghost (played by Hagrid), shows him how all his ancestors were rotten, and if only Blackadder were rotten, his descendents would rule the world. The humor is very British, but I still don't see how anyone wouldn't laugh themselves sick.




#1 A Charlie Brown Christmas - I'm a recent convert to the magic of Charlie Brown. I was never that into it, but last year I got this book at the library; releasing all the old material with commentary and whatnot. Seeing the evolution of Charlie Brown made me appreciate the genius a little more. I never found Charlie Brown that funny, but I came to understand it's not supposed to be. It's the melancholy aspects to his character that make it so brilliant. When I rewatched the special the other day I realized how amazing this Christmas special was. (And for me to rank it ahead of Blackadder is saying something). I love the dance scene (Especially this one random kid in the middle who just jukes his head from side to side while dancing in place. Look for him.) I am blown away by Charlie's sadness as he searches for reason to find meaning in such a crassly commercial holiday (something I can relate to). I like at the end when they all are "oohing" Hark the Herald Angels, and their mouths all make the "OOOO" shape. Actually, the music might be the best part. The dance song number is classic, and the kind of sad one (Christmas Time is Here) is one of the best Christmas songs ever. It makes me so sad to listen to it, but in a good way. So, there you go.

Up Next: Best Christmas movies

4 comments:

Sea Hag said...

Wow, that's almost exactly what my top-5 would have been, but I would have swapped Blackadder for 'Jim Henson's Emmit Otter's JugBand Christmas'. The Garfield and the Claymation ones me and my brother watched year-round when we were growing up.

Faithful Joy said...

ME too ME too! I would swap "White Christmas" for Black Adder, only because I haven't seen that particular Black Adder. Danny Kaye is classic and no one sings White Christmas smoother than Bing. Garfield and Claymation were my absolute favorite growing up and I have wishing I had them on video or DVD.

Anonymous said...

yea, ok I should have read this one before the christmas movie one, and perhaps held my tongue for about three minutes. But oh well, my sadness has been lifted.

Anonymous said...

what is an HTml TAG?

I pretty much agree with your list, though don't remember Black Adder being that funny. Probably need to see it again.

I want that Claymation Special. with a passion. Find it for me online, and I swear I'm going to buy it. for my birthday. mom




RANK EVERYTHING - Copyright 2005 - 2018 by Hyperion All Rights Reserved; Adapted by the staff of Blog and Web