November 17, 2006

Movie Car Chases

I decided to rank the best movie Car Chases. I limited my list to the last 10 years or so. Because of technology, special effects, and big budgets I don't think it's fair to compare car chases of the '60s, '70s and '80s with today. However, I would like to take a minute to honor great car chases of yore from BULLIT, THE FRENCH CONNECTION and of course CANONBALL RUN.


(Where available I have video clips instead of pictures. You need Java to view them, and it's worth your time to do so)


Probably would have made the list had Hyperion seen the movie: GONE IN 60 SECONDS – I've only recently come around on Angelina Jolie, and this was my phase when her presence in a movie was enough for me to skip it.



THE TOP FIVE MOVIE CAR CHASES OF RECENT MEMORY





#5 THE ITALIAN JOB – I confess my memory is hazy here, but I do remember the three Mini Coopers. This car chase falls to number five if for no other reason than it does not stick out in my mind .


#4 THE BOURNE SUPREMACY (read Hyperion's Review) – What's great about it: The world's most indestructible Taxi (a Russian made Volga). That thing takes more direct hits than Tom Cruise's reputation, and not only keeps moving, it barely looks dented! I want that Volga. What's not so great: Director Paul Greengrass doesn't show the same eye IDENTITY director Doug Liman had, especially in the car chase. I get that closeups and lightning fast cuts give the audience a “you are there” feel, which can heighten suspense. However, when you go to all that trouble to film a kick-ass car chase you want to be able to see what's actually going on, and too often it's hard to tell what's happening.


The Top Three are a huge step up......



#3 THE BOURNE IDENTITYWhat's great about it: Everything. First off, the car chase has the best Car Chase Theme Song ever (EVER!), with Paul Oakenfold's Ready Steady Go. Next, the pacing is incredible, never trying to go over the top, while always keeping the adrenaline going. Finally, the filming gives enough perspective so you can see they really are doing those stunts through the streets of Paris (at least most of them). Terrific job all the way around. What's not great: My understanding is that car chases compel women to remove clothing. Why Franke Potente is impervious to this immutable fact is beyond me.



#2 RONIN (read Hyperion's Review) – What's great about it: Just like the rest of the movie, they don't try to be flashy. Elegant is the best way to describe what you're watching, to the point that it's almost understated. Years Before BOURNE thrilled audiences with wrong-way chases through Paris streets RONIN perfected it. Even though (like all car chases) the stunts are improbable they are shot in such a way (and our belief in the characters is such) that we almost believe they might really be able to pull it off. From a technical standpoint the most flawless car chase in history. What's not great: I just watched the movie last week and I can't remember the music. With better music RONIN'S car chase would rightly take its place as one of the best action sequences of all time.


And the number one car chase in recent memory.....


#1 THE MATRIX RELOADED (read Hyperion's Review) - What's great about it: The wizardry of Star Wars may be more accomplished, but for wide-eyed stupefaction in the theatre I don't think I've ever been more blown away then RELOADED. And in a movie full of jaw-droppers, the car chase tops the list. The sheer audacity of what they attempted is uncharted territory, and even understanding the technical prowess available with computer rendering you're left speechless. Heck, I'm impressed they could have invented technology do some of that. Highlights include the fight on the truck, the destruction of that car's hood, the HOV ghosts, and of course the Kitana Sword moment at the end. What's not great: The only points I can take off is that we know going in how much had to be FX, especially since most of what they try would be physically impossible. Still, a minor quibble. RELOADED forevermore raises the bar on what a car chase can be.


No comments:




RANK EVERYTHING - Copyright 2005 - 2018 by Hyperion All Rights Reserved; Adapted by the staff of Blog and Web