July 1, 2008

Canadian Flowers

CANADIAN FLOWERS - THE RANKING


#13 Mayflower (Nova Scotia) - Hey, NS, you don't get to call your flower the Mayflower unless one landed on you!




#12 White Trillium (Ontario) - On the plus side, White Trillium would make a great psychedelic band name. Wouldn't it be cool if smoking these flowers let you see through time?




#11 Pacific Dogwood (British Columbia) - Can you tell I'm so over white as a flower?




#10 Mountain Avens (Northwest Territories) - All right; this is getting ridiculous!




#9 Wild Rose (Alberta) - I know they have it on their license plate and all, but it just doesn't do much for me.




#8 Purple Violet (New Brunswick) - Another favorite that I can't get excited for. Maybe after the American list I'm normal flowered out.




#7 Prairie Crocus (Manitoba) - While pretty, I cannot fully support flowers who look like they've given up.



#6 Purple Pitcher Plant (Newfoundland and Labrador) - Talk about your giving up! Actually, when it blooms, this one forms a little pitcher that actually holds water. Bumblebee tea party! (Yet another great psychedelic band name.)




#5 Purple Saxifrage (Nunavut) - Okay, this one isn't all that pretty, but I ranked it high because of the cool name (saxifrage sounds like a naughty party), and because it grows in the most desolate places. Big ups to the survivor flowers!




#4 Fireweed (Yukon) - I freely admit this one is fairly boring, but the name! Fireweed!!!!! (I know I keep saying it, but yet another great psychedelic band name!)




#3 Western Red Lily (Saskatchewan) - Not sure why this one appeals to me so much. It just does.





#2 Lady's Slipper (Prince Edward Island) - It looks like a slipper! I never get tired of these things. I liked it so much, I put two. (Well, mostly because one also looks kinda, well, you know....)

and the number one flower is....




#1 Blue Flag Iris (Quebec) - Dude, you know I'm not a fan of the French, but look at that flower! It looks just like their fleur de lis thingy! What are the odds???? (Of course, it is entirely possible that the symbol comes from the flower, but I prefer to see miracles where I can.)

4 comments:

Hyperion said...

If you read a lot of my stuff, you'd know that I poke fun at a lot of different groups, not seriously, just kidding around. you sound like someone who can't take a joke.

Anonymous said...

Oh right, because how funny would it be if I said "Dude, you know I'm not a fan of black people but I love New Orleans." Hilarious.

Hyperion said...

Clearly I'm all turned around on the subject of French-Canadians. As evidenced by your cogent arguments and witty repartee, you are all salts of the earth and Friends to Humanity. I take back every jab and will henceforth preach the good word of Canucky Love.

Linda H said...

Not sure where you got your photos, or info, but you need to do a little more research work, methinks...
1. Nova Scotia's Mayflower is named for the month it blooms in, not the ship!
2. Your photo of the New Brunswick purple violet is actually a pansy! It's purple, yes, but NB's flower? No.
3.NL's flower, the Pitcher plant - it's the LEAVES that form the pitcher, not the blossom...
4. The photos you have shown of PEI's Lady's Slipper are not Ladys slippers at all- they are orchids. Yes orchids are a relative of the Lady's Slipper, but what you are showing is NOT a Lady's Slipper...
Get it right, buddy.




RANK EVERYTHING - Copyright 2005 - 2018 by Hyperion All Rights Reserved; Adapted by the staff of Blog and Web