July 12, 2006

Best of the '90s #2 (1995)

When I first started looking at 1995 I thought I'd made a horrible mistake; how could I judge it the second best movie-year of the '90s with all the mediocre-to-terrible films? So many supposed hits failed to go anywhere, movies like TO DIE FOR, FATHER OF THE BRIDE II, THE QUICK AND THE DEAD, NEVER TALK TO STRANGERS, JADE, JOHNNY MENMONIC, FIRST KNIGHT, BAD COMPANY, DANGEROUS MINDS, A VAMPIRE IN BROOKLYN, ACE VENTURA: WHEN NATURE CALLS, THE NET, HIGHER LEARNING, and JUST CAUSE.

1995 had many romances that didn't connect either, movies like FORGET PARIS, NINE MONTHS, DON JUAN DEMACO, MAD LOVE, THE ENGLISHMAN WHO WENT UP A HILL BUT CAME DOWN A MOUNTAIN, THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY and THE SCARLET LETTER.

There were several films supposed to garner awards (and many that did), that I felt were perhaps enjoyable, but overrated, films like BABE, SABRINA, JEFFESON IN PARIS, and APOLLO 13. I'm not hating on these movies, but they just don't seem to be worth the fuss they got.

Then there were the absolute worst movies ever (EVER!): TOMMY BOY, TANK GIRL, BILLY MADISON, A BRADY BUNCH MOVIE, JAWBREAKER, STUART SAVES HIS FAMILY, STRIPTEASE, EMPIRE RECORDS, CONGO, JUDGE DRED, BAD BOYS, and CUTTHROAT ISLAND.

I was almost starting to despair. Was 1995 just a terrible year for movies? Well, you see the carnage above; it's not pretty. If you were making a league of teams, 1995 would get crushed by 1998 or '97, or even 1999. But an all-star team….this is where 1995 comes into its own. (I'm probably the only person in the world that looks at movies that way, but that's just me.)

1995 has some absolutely stellar movies at the top; all over the map and rich in texture meaning and quality. There were so many that I couldn't do a top ten, or even a top fifteen. For 1995 we get a top 20.


THE TOP TWENTY MOVIES OF 1995



#20 POCHAHONTAS - the part I like best is how they kept true to the real history. Although the formula has not largely been abandoned, I see nothing wrong with great animation, good voices, cute animals and nice songs. I too strive to paint with all the colors of the wind.



#19 WHILE YOU WERE SLEEPING - The only good Sandra Bullock movie ever; works in spite of the silly premise



#18 THE BROTHERS MCMULLEN - How this movie works is beyond me, but what a sweet film about family. Not as glossy as SHE'S THE ONE, but more down to earth and watchable.



#17 CLUELESS - Never in my life have I been so wrong about a movie. That'll Teach me to prejudge. (In my defense, the marketing for this film was awful; I had no idea it was based on Jane Austen's Emma.) A truly delightful film.



#16 FRENCH KISS - Probably my favorite Meg Ryan and Kevin Kline performances. Wickedly funny (and quotable!), while still sweet and charming. A total winner.



#15 GOLDENEYE - I'm just going to say it and you all can deal: Pierce Brosnan is the best Bond ever, and GOLDENEYE is arguably the best Bond movie ever. EVER!



#14 LEAVING LAS VEGAS - I should rank this higher, but had such an awful experience watching it (with my little sister and my mom's friend!) that this is as high as I go. You know that scene where she's sucking his thumb but you can't tell it's a thumb right away? Try sitting through that with a 12 year old.



#13 NIXON - Anthony Hopkins eschews simple mimicry and goes for the heart of the man. With Oliver Stone you never know how much is real, but a fantastic movie all the same.


#12 12 MONKEYS - Perhaps Bruce Willis's best work, and outstanding work from Brad Pitt (totally robbed of an Oscar Nomination). Madeline Stowe's best work too. This is one creepy cool movie, and the ending is still up for interpretation.



#11 ROB ROY - Totally overshadowed by that other Scottish epic, but still a fine movie in its own right with plenty of great performances. One of the great realistic sword fights of all time.

Up Tomorrow: The Top Ten

No comments:




RANK EVERYTHING - Copyright 2005 - 2018 by Hyperion All Rights Reserved; Adapted by the staff of Blog and Web